6 Things about the Ndebele Tribe of Southern Africa
1. The Ndebeles are a Southern African Tribe found in South Africa and Zimbabwe.
2. The Ndebele tribe are cousins to the Zulus.
3. They are part of the larger Nguni tribe in South Africa (others are Zulu, Xhosa and Swazi).
4. The Ndebeles in South Africa speak isiNdebele language.
5. The Ndebeles are known for their artwork, particularly their house paintings, which were used as a secret form of communication with each other, during the era of slavery.
6. The Ndebele women actually do the colourful painting patterns on the walls of their houses.
The women also do beadwork, sculpted figures, pottery, mats…