How to make Umleqwa and Peach Stew
Umleqwa is a farm-reared chicken. It is generally cooked for a very long time(45 minutes to 1 hour) as the meat tends to be tougher than commercially reared chickens.
1 whole chicken, jointed
1 onion, chopped
1 chilli, chopped
1cm fresh ginger, chopped
1 tsp turmeric
1 Tbs curry powder
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tin sliced peaches
1 cup chicken stock
1. Heat oil in a large pot then add the chicken, sauté for a few minutes.
2. Add the onion, chilli and ginger and cook until translucent.
3. Add the turmeric and curry powder and stir to coat the chicken.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes, peaches and chicken stock then leave to simmer for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
5. Serve with pap, rice or dombolo (dumplings).